Saturday, February 10, 2007

The Shins-Wincing The Night Away




The Shins’ new album has been out for a while. I was waiting a while to review it, because it always takes me a while to really understand their music. But that’s really why they are one of the best indie rock bands out there today. The play on rhythm, which is even more highlighted in this album than in the previous one really draws you in the music. The complexity of the album and the voice James Mercer mixed with some nostalgic chords, really make me wish I were- but at the same time, am-somewhere else. “Phantom Limb” is a really good example of that correlation. It’s universal, it would have been a hit in the 70’s, it is one now, and I’m pretty sure it would still make it 30 years from now. “Turn Me On” is one of the songs that had to break me, but ended up really making me feel completely differently about the song and the whole album. And the most beautiful song on the album is “Black Wave” for many ineffable reasons that only concern my own personal path in music and life. I strongly recommend this album, and would probably sustain the New Musical Express’ review that this album is managed to top the previous one.

No comments: