Thursday, November 12, 2009

Berlin is calling me!



So there I was, on the elevated stage of the orange room, waiting for Laurent Garnier to perform his sick set when a French dude and I started talking. Well, more like screaming. He was from Paris (of course) and mentioned how we Belgians can throw some sick parties. Tell me something I don't know, Christophe! He asked me who I was going to see after Laurent Garnier. I was headed straight for Boys Noize. The new track, NOTT, repeating "I. LOVE. TECHNO" in a robotic voice, would make the mob go wild, I thought. I wanted to witness that. "No, go check out Paul Kalkbrenner in the green room," he said. "He makes the best techno of our time. This dude is German." This sounded all too appealing for me. I was convinced! I shouldn't have been, because the German sensation was moved to a different room without notice and I missed him. But when I got home I check out his material. I was intrigued. And, though I'd hardly put my hand in the fire saying this dude makes "the best techno of our time," I'd gladly vouch for the fact that this DJ has quite a range of electro. From MANGO's spiritual beats taking you on a more relaxed journey through electronica, the KALKBOMB brings you to TORTED, a danceable techno groove with a vengeance. He doesn't really deal with the terribly hard techno, but damn, the man can spin. His claim to fame still rests primarily on SKY AND SAND, which earns him rave revues from fans, aficionados and techno connoisseurs. Though not my personal favorite, it fits in with the rest of the album very well. An album which displays the range of Kalbrenner's talent. A range I would like to see develop and progress. The Parisian techno fan and I spoke of both our plans to move to Berlin in the near future. He told me, as parting advice, "try to catch Kalkbrenner now... you'll regret it later if you don't."

No comments: