Sunday, November 22, 2009

Groove City Festival (Brussels, BE)


8 p.m. I got there spanking early. There were barely 30 people on site. I remembered I ❤ Techno at 7 p.m. was already pumping. The rooms weren't packed but there was a decent vibe going on. The few people here hadn't quite warmed up yet. I was flipping though. I still had no contact whatsoever from my Parisian friends. They came over to Belgium just for this party. Little by little, the place started filling up. I checked out a bunch of the rooms they had. I even went to the drum n' bass lounge just to see what kind of set up they have. Truth be told, unless it's played in a deep Prague underground club or at Cross Club (also in Prague), I don't enjoy drum n' bass. Their electro room was rather small and unpopulated, so I didn't linger there either. So far I dug the light and sound of the techno room, so I stuck around. The place was the most crowded of all the rooms. at 9 p.m., Sebastien Leger came on. He's a French house/techno DJ from Paris. I could tell he had quite the following already because the place had doubled in capacity. I made a quick stop at the House lodge for a second time and concluded that the music there was not my type. It wasn't making me groove. So I went back to Sebastien Leger while waiting for my friends. They really trekked here for their favorite act, James Holden. And it seemed the whole crowd was crazy about the London-based spinner. I've never seen an audience strike back like they did last night. People going up to dance on stage and there was no security to stop them. Sometimes, a crew of the DJ would mention to the guy to get off, but it was totally amicable. If someone so much as made a move towards the stage in NYC, that person would have been dragged out onto the street by the rogue security crew. Here, it felt homey. Friendly, almost. It was as if we were all just attending one big house party. The Frenchies arrived for their beloved act, and we were grooving further to the prodigal beats of German DJ Sven Väth. (He doesn't have a myspace account and there are no uploaded videos of last night's performance but here are two excerpts from last year's groove city ). We couldn't even finish his performance. We were dead. We needed to sit down, walk around, do something besides dancing. Weather permitting. And last night, the weather was not permitting anything. It was raining a river. So we took refuge in the house lodge. We caught the end of Bob Sinclair's super commercial mix. It was really sad. That man sucks live. David Vendetta however, came to save the show. There was fight starting up at my left and my friends were recuperating close to me at my right. And the music suddenly hit me. I don't understand how I suddenly managed to move again, but I was dancing. As the music got better, I kept giving it harder. It came to a point where my brain no longer controlled what I was doing. I had no idea my body could or would move like that. People around me probably thought I was on some new miraculous dancing drug (not the case). The man and his violinist just tore it up with a electric violin rendition of small town boy, MGMT's "Kids," "Seven Nation Army" and "Sweet Dreams." No videos of last night are up on youtube yet, but I asked a girl who filmed the entire cathartic finale to put it on youtube. Waiting to relive that magical moment!

No comments: